Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Om Mani Padme Hum

On a flight from Paro, Bhutan to Kathmandu, Nepal then connecting via a Twin Otter for spectacular views of Mt. Evererst, Sagamatha, in the Himalaya to Pokhara, here we cuddle (see photo below), at 6 a.m. without java, on Cloud 9. The view of the Annapura Himalaya from Sarankot is almost a religious experience. From Dhaulagiri Mountain to the west at 8167 meters to the perfect pyramid that is Machhapuchhare (Fishtail) Mountain at 6997 meters and the rounded peak of Annapura II in the east at 7937 meters the vista is stunning.

We've been in Pokhara, Nepal's second largest city, for two days chillin' with the trekkers to the meditative beat of "Om Mani Padme Hum" which reverberates from shops everywhere. Compared to the chaos of Kathmandu, Pokhara is a laid-back haven surrounded by incredible views of Himalayan mountain peaks. We hire a rowboat to float across the serene lake of Phewa Tal and hike up to the tranquil Peace Pagoda built by Buddhist monks to promote world peace and are about to head to the Fishtail Resort to order appetizers and lay by the pool. From the short time we've been here we see Nepal is a land of yaks and yetis, stupas and sherpas, some of the best trekking on earth and the closest thing that backpackers have to Disneyland. A place we would definitely come back to. Enjoy the photo montage.

Tomorrow, October 16th, we fly to Vananasi, India. We'll try to post again after Agra sometime in the last week of October.






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey guys! To my horror and shame I realise as I write my latest Coltart update, that I am 2 reports behind. Most unlike me, I can only apologise. In my defense, I have at last had my hernia op (you know the one that started this crazy rollercoaster ride 5 months ago!). All went well thank God and I'm doing some much needed r n' r on the sofa. Hence this note. Your blog continues to enthral and fascinate us mere mortals in the western world.......keep it up. It is Max's half term next week so we're upping sticks and heading for Penroy. Talking of Penroy, we're down there for xmas this year with la famille Hood, which promises to be huge fun. And you two, where might you end up for the Christmas period? Max and Nugs are both well, school is still a big hit for M. We have landed ourselves in THE perfect spot, I can't tell you. Max has some great mates, whose parents are now our friends. Quietish this w/e, the usual footie practice for M this morning, and now N and I are flaked on the sofa (from where, again, she sends her love). Max is in the garden helping Tim, our neighbour plant our daffs and tulips for next Spring. Tessa tells me she is now 'blogging'.Anyway, that's me done until the next time. Much love, Ed Nugs & Max. xxxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

Only me! I forgot to say we'd all been out to dinner at Ramsay's new place for Bean's 30th. Nugs and I stayed at Browns (got rate thru work) which was v spoiling. Had a great night, Bean brought Anna. Watch this space on that one!