Sunday, April 9, 2017

In Loving Memory of Frank Prunkl

With immense sorrow, our family says farewell to our beloved father, father-in-law, brother, grandfather, uncle, and husband Frank Prunkl, who passed away peacefully on March 22 in Kelowna, BC. His closest family members were all fortunate to see him, hold his hand, and express their love during his final days. Frank is survived by his wife Magdalena, his daughters Arlene Prunkl-Small (Bryan), Sandi Lovell (Tim), and Sue Alexander (Randy), his grandchildren Brittany and Brayden Alexander, and his sister Maria Wienberg.

Frank was born in the ethnic German village of Setschanfeld, Yugoslavia. After enduring extreme hardships during and after WWII, he immigrated to Vancouver with his mother and sister Maria in 1951. He always credited Canada for giving him opportunities to live a peaceful and prosperous life. Next to his children and grandchildren, perhaps Frank's greatest legacy is his 44-year commitment to his work for the Richmond School District and caring for the children in the classrooms of Richmond's schools. For decades he was beloved by generations of RSD staff and students and their subsequent families. After his “official” retirement in 1992 and a spectacular send-off, he continued to work part-time for 20 years, retiring only when he could no longer drive. Outside of his work, Frank will always be remembered for his love of playing the harmonica and accordion. He was a kind, humble, gentle, quiet soul who was invariably positive with everyone he encountered. A loving father and a caring grandfather, he will be immeasurably missed by his family and all who knew him.

*****

“It was and will always be one of the greatest highlights of my life to see my beloved Dad accept Jesus Christ as his Lord and Savior in the last few days of his earthly life. What joy it is to know I will be reunited with him and spend eternity with him in heaven! Words cannot express my gratitude to God for His grace and for honouring me by letting me be the last person to be with my Dad. Tim and I had driven six hours from Whistler to Kelowna and I arrived at my Dad's bedside literally two minutes before he breathed his last—just enough time to gently stroke his head and quickly tell him I loved him forever, that heaven was wonderful and I would see him there soon, and to guide him towards Jesus' loving arms. This was not a coincidence but the power of Love—God's and my Dad's, who both knew I was coming and, I believe, waited for me. It doesn't get any better than that. What an awesome, wonderful God we serve!” -  Sandi


“And remember, whatever you do,
have a little fun while you’re doing it.”
-  Frank Prunkl

No comments: